Studying in France: 7 Steps to Getting Your Student Visa

Hi guys. Well, I finally did it. I got my long-stay student visa for France. I’ll be moving to Paris in September. (Yay!) I also have to tell you that getting your student visa should not take 7 steps. But I’ve got my false steps here to save you the grief.

Paris street artist JR made the Louvre Pyramid disappear, with these black-and-white photos installed on one façade of the pyramid.

Now first things first. If you’re from a country that France will let in as a tourist for 90 days and that’s the max you want to stay, you don’t need a student visa.

But if your intent is to study for longer, here’s how to get started.

Step 1. Determine if you can afford to study in France

Yes, you will need to prove you have enough money. Continue reading “Studying in France: 7 Steps to Getting Your Student Visa”

What You Need to Know—Residency-wise—about Canada and Mexico

Hi. This is following up on my more general post about visas. And it’s going to be shorter because I’m focusing on only two countries—but with very different requirements.

An old postcard and where one of my students immigrated to.

It’s also geared for Americans, as Canada and Mexico are our most popular destinations. Though the residency information is the same for you other folks too.

But if you are a U.S. citizen, you may be thinking…

1. Gee, Canada seems really nice to people, not like the bread and circus show we have here. How do I apply for citizenship?

Continue reading “What You Need to Know—Residency-wise—about Canada and Mexico”

Visas: The Basic Info for Expats

Hello. Nice to see you again. Now here’s an important issue. Let’s say you’ve got a trip in mind. But you’re confused about the different sorts of visas you might need—for travel or even to live in a foreign country.

Well, it’s not that hard to understand. But let’s start with the easiest question first.

1.  Do I need a visa to travel as a tourist?

Yes, you do. Some of the time.

Continue reading “Visas: The Basic Info for Expats”